Sunday, February 13, 2011

Holly Berries after a snowfall — it's about light


This shot of Holly berries was taken the day after a little snowstorm (four inches or so).  Actually in the south they consider that a big storm.  What attracted me to the subject was what most frequently attracts my attention, the quality of light.

And to answer a question that would surely pop into the minds of many, yes I did darken the background in Photoshop.  The tree is standing several feet in front of a red brick wall.  The wall was in shadow as my exposure was based (as it should be using digital) on the highlights.  The wall was dark, muddy looking, out of focus  and under exposed.  I simply helped it along some by burning in the already dark background  to make it more or less disappear and give my subject greater emphasis.

This is nothing new as I have done the same thing in a darkroom making prints with an enlarger literally hundreds of times in the past fifty years.  The image content has in no way been altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment