Saturday, April 2, 2011

Painting the town red and U-Turns


I made three photographs that I liked this week, this one was taken on my way to lunch with friends yesterday around noon.

All three of the photos required a quick decision on my part and the first available spot that would allow me to make a U-turn as I saw the picture possibilities while driving.  I was at a stop sign, waiting to pull out, when I spotted this guy painting the large doors,  A car was waiting behind me, so I had no choice but to move.  I pulled into a parking lot entrance several hundred feet down the road, turned around and came back to park in a spot where I had a clear view and was not obstructing traffic.  Rolling my window down, I waited as this man was in no hurry to finish the job and I wanted a graphic image that was a little stronger than a man standing with a paint roller in his hand.  I probably sat there for ten minutes during which time he covered a couple of square feet.  I would have been a little late for lunch but I waited and I think I eventually took about seven photos, two of which I liked.  This was the best.  The photo was taken with a Panasonic GH1 camera with a a 14 - 140 telephoto zoom lens—perfect lens for this job.  The GH1 has a 1.5 magnification factor so 140 mm is equivalent to 280 on a full-frame camera and this was not taken at maximum focal length.

If you see a picture you like while you're driving and you can spare a couple of minutes, make a U-Turn and get the shot.  In all probability you will never get another chance.  Of course you do have to have your camera with you.  Mine usually sits on the passenger seat or on the floor just behind me where I can reach it while driving.  I've heard pros say they don't carry a camera with them all the time.  I say nonsense.

As always, click the image to see it full size.

No comments:

Post a Comment